You are here: Home / Library Information / History / Library History

Library History

In January of 1946 a group of women met at the local schoolhouse to consider organizing a library in Lynnville.  The library was opened in March of 1946 with Mrs. Madeline Elscott serving as the librarian.  Books were obtained by a contract with the Newton Library; some were donated and others were purchased.  In 1958 the Jasper Conty Library Board was established. 

Lucille Sparks retired in 1990 after many faithful years of service.  Linda James was hired as the new librarian in 1990 according to the 28E agreement with the Jasper County Library.  The majority of the books belonged to the Jasper County Library with Newton Library circulating them among six county libraries.

In 1993, the 28E agreement with the Newton Public Library was dissolved by the Jasper County Library making Lynnville an independent library.  Linda James was then hired as a State Certified Librarian and Director.  A board of trustees was developed.  The books that belonged to the Jasper County Library were divided among the six county libraries with each library receiving 3,500 each. 

In 1994, the library owned 6,500 items and were automated due to a check-out rate of 25,000 items per year.  Computers were purchased with donations from the community and various organizations at a cost of $7,000.

In July of 1995, the City Council appointed a committee of local citizens to undertake fundraising effots for a new fire station and the old fire station would be remodeled for the new library.  When the new fire station was complete in February of 1996, remodeling began for the library. 

The new library opened for business on April 6, 1996, with everything in place.  The completed renovation more than doubled the floor space of the library.   The library continues progressing forward each year.

Linda James is serving her 20th year of service at the library.  In 2010, she will be training Heather James as her replacement as the new Director.  Heather started with the library in November of 2009.

In 2011 there were two big changes in the Lynnville Public Library.  Barb Hoogeveen was selected as the new director and both Linda James and Heather James retired from their library duties.  Also, the library moved to their new location at 404 East St. which was formerly the Farm and Home Store in Lynnville.

 

 Want to learn more?  Check out the Iowa Historical Society?

CIMG1662